27 August 2012

[Shared Topic] Headcanon

This week, yours truly wants to know:
Canon refers to the actual events and characters that exist in a fictional world. Headcanon refers to any situations or characters that are imagined by fans of said fictional world. Sometimes they are silly, like the fact that Garrosh's favorite treat is lemon squares. Sometimes they are serious, like positing that tauren store grief in the lungs. For my writing, I've come up with a lot of headcanon. Got a theory about a torrid romance between your favorite auctioneer and the patrolling guard? Given any thought to where mounts and pets go when they aren't summoned? Do you know how your characters do their laundry, or what Baine Bloodhoof does in his free time? What are your headcanons, and where did you get the idea?
Since I do enjoy writing in the WoWverse, it's important to me to think about the weird details in Azeroth that will make my stories seem cozy and livable. Some of my ideas come from my own wild brain, but a lot of them come from listening to others' theories or reading others' fanfiction.

If possible, I like to tie together other fan-created characters and experiences with my own. Running into other bloggers is entirely something that could happen to my characters. I like writing cameos into my fiction, and I especially like appearing in that of others!

I learned about Aka's tauren culture thanks to Kamalia's investigation of tauren funerary rites. This story gave me inspiration to tie my Insane grind into Aka's plot, and the funeral scene is now part of my tauren headcanon. Apple showed a way to make even out-of-game things like race changes fit into in-game plot. Rades enriches Azeroth by reminding us that even the most minor NPCs can have engaging stories.

Despite game limitations, I think that most characters can speak multiple languages, including those of the opposing faction. Otherwise how would we be getting quests from certain factions? Because orcs and humans have the dominant languages and therefore don't need to learn other languages this has the potential to create some interesting conflicts.

I think goblins, dwarves, and pandaren privilege fat bodies over skinny ones. Goblins like the physical representation of luxury and wealth, and dwarves and pandaren like showing how much booze they can put away. Plus, who ever heard of a skinny dwarf?

Although the goblins seem happiest in their steam-punk-inspired engineering workshops, I think they might also have developed a taste for fancy blood elf leisure culture. It's fancy, it's imported, and it's extravagant.

Bosses drop loot in game, but I like to think that sometimes they drop materials rather than items. That way they can be crafted into outfits that fit the characters, and you don't have to break your brain wondering why dragons have size 6.5 human boots on their person. Tier gear is developed by class experts after studying the newest threats to Azeroth and designing the most suitable armor for it. Then, the design goes through a long list of checkpoints, from design to gathering to crafting to suiting up.

Boss Mida is the real power in the goblin world, and she has a secret something going on with her personal assistant Kazit. Also, she is a connoisseur of Steamy Romance Novels.

Since Cataclysm, druids have been unable to shift into tree form without serious strain, and as a result it is happening less and less.

Hmm, I guess I have less headcanons than I thought. And they are mostly on the Horde side. What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. I really only had head canon related to Thysan. For instance, she hated Undercity. The Forsaken scared her and going there was a struggle (plus being a little claustrophobic didn't help her out there!).

    She always carried her Pet Rock, too. It was her lucky charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Pet Rock! I have similar feelings about UC as well ><

      Delete
  2. I don't really dabble in writing like this but I find myself doing the same thing trying to explain away why some things work the way they do in-game.

    How can a warrior survive a fireball to the face? Magical armour. Why can you only port to certain places? You need something on the other end to get a fix, like a portal stone or such.

    I absolutely love trying to figure out the science behind the magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love the creative explanations for in game magic.

      Delete
  3. I love this Shared Topic (mine will probably go live tomorrow). Most of my headcanon relates to Silvermoon as I primarily write about blood elves, so I love that other people are writing about tauren culture. I'm actually going to give writing about my druid a shot tonight, so we'll see how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my headcanons can be discovered in my stories, I don't really think about lore-things at any other time. Mostly my headcanons incorporate other people's ones, and extrapolate from them to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the theory of bosses loot being the actual crafting mats and importantly expertise - makes a lot more sense than Halion having a human helmet on :)

    My own theory on this the loot is the remnants of a previous adventurer (there are a LOT in Azeroth) who has been vanquished - almost making our characters Graverobbers.....almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like that idea as well! The boss isn't wearing the items, but it's a personal collection of previous dungeoners' stuff XD

      Delete
  6. Is there anything wrong with mainly hordeside canon? After all it's what you know best :) I think this is a great topic Aka! I will get to it hopefully after all this patch excitement dies down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind but I think I commented on yours, hopefully! If not, I'll get to it soon ><

      Delete
  7. I do have a tendency to incorporate into my own headcanon things that I liked in other peoples' stories. :)

    My primary headcanon thing relates to the timeline -- in my own stories, I allow three years for the events of classic WoW, and the events of each expansion take place over the actual length of that expansion in "RL-space" time. I just can't make any sense of the massive war effort required for assaults on Kara, SSC, TK, Black Temple, and Isle of Quel'Danas/the Sunwell taking place in just one year for BC, nor the Nexus War, New Naxx, Ulduar, and the Tournament/ICC taking place in just one year for Wrath. So that works out to three years for classic WoW and two years apiece for each of the expansions, for a total of eleven or twelve years that have passed since classic WoW began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a couple years for wrath, and an extra year between that and start of Cata - to give Varian enough time to build that statue of himself, y'know. ;) That's my personal headcanon, anyway.

      Delete
    2. Ahh, it's helpful to me to hear how people think about the timelines. I try not to mention dates/years/ages a lot but sometimes it's useful to have an idea!

      Delete
  8. Like the headcanons, definitely. :3 Nothing wrong with mostly having them on the side you favor!

    Also! You might want to update your link to my site to direct to here, since my old domain's getting shut down in a couple months. ;)

    ReplyDelete